Light in August
Light in August Chapter 21 Summary
- A furniture dealer tells his wife about a couple he just met on the road.
- He recalls meeting Byron, Lena, and her baby who need a ride "down the road."
- He learns that Byron is not the father of the baby, and that the couple is looking for a third man.
- The furniture dealer stops driving for the night, and Lena asks to sleep in the bed of the truck.
- When Byron tries to sleep with her, Lena rejects him and sends him to sleep somewhere else.
- Byron leaves and it doesn't look like he's coming back.
- The next day, Lena and the driver start their journey again. Eventually Byron appears at the side of the road and joins up with Lena once again.
- The strange family heads into Tennessee and Lena remarks that she's traveled more in the past two months than she has in her entire life.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search