Light in August
by William Faulkner
Light in August Chapter 9 Summary
- Back in the present, McEachern sees Joe sneak out of the house and get into a car.
- McEachern gets on his horse and follows the car to a school house where a dance is being held.
- McEachern storms onto the dance floor and calls the waitress a harlot and a Jezebel. Joe hits McEachern over the head with a chair and he falls to the floor.
- Joe grabs McEachern's horse and heads back home. Laughing, Joe tells Mrs. McEachern that her husband is at a dance. He steals all the money she has hidden in a tin can in his room and heads back to the waitress's house.
- Max asks Joe if he killed McEachern, and Bobbie, the waitress, wants nothing to do with him.
- Bobbie tells everyone in the house that Joe has black blood. A man in the house punches Joe in the face to "see if his blood is black." The man continues to beat Christmas up, looking at his blood.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...