Little Dorrit Book 1, Chapter 30 Summary
The Word of a Gentleman
- Blandois recognizes Flintwinch and is floored to see him.
- Flintwinch has no idea what's going on and starts choking Affery.
- After a little while, Blandois interrupts and kind of laughs off the domestic abuse, basically saying that Flintwinch puts the fun in dysfunctional.
- In any case, Blandois has a letter of introduction from a company in Paris that's well known to Clennam & Co. This is basically how international banking was done back in the day. Now Blandois can withdraw money from Clennam & Co. with the understanding that the Paris bank will pay them back.
- Blandois asks for an inn to go freshen up in before meeting Mrs. Clennam.
- Flintwinch is sort of at a loss, since Blandois seems to be a gentleman and there are no fancy places anywhere in the neighborhood, but Blandois says he's fine anywhere.
- He eats alone and does a weird self-talk to psych himself up.
- After dinner Blandois comes back and goes upstairs.
- Mrs. Clennam is waiting for him with some tea. They are clearly thinking he's some kind of reasonably important customer or client.
- There's some small talk. Blandois is charming and terrifying at the same time. Mrs. Clennam is her usual half-catatonic self.
- Suddenly Blandois notices the watch that Mr. Clennam left Mrs. Clennam. It turns out the watch is engraved "D.N.F." which stands for "Do Not Forget," according to Mrs. Clennam.
- She goes off on a tirade about how she will never forget and how she lives her life just waiting to die and get to heaven. She thinks she's a shoo-in.
- Finally Blandois is ready to go, but first he asks for a tour of the house.
- This is bizarre, since it's just an old dump, but Flintwinch takes him around.
- It turns out, though, that Blandois is mostly just looking at Flintwinch and not the house itself.
- After the tour, Blandois invites Flintwinch for a drink, but as drunk as the two get, it's impossible to get any information out of Flintwinch.
- Finally Blandois says good night and promises that he'll be back. Terminator-style.