Cite This Page
Little Dorrit Book 2, Chapter 32 Summary Page 1
- Pancks is going nuts with guilt over Arthur and the investments. He keeps going over and over the numbers in his head – and on paper they should both have been very rich by now.
- The more he stresses, the more Casby annoys him.
- But he is used to his job and has been harassing the Bleeding Heart Yard tenants like before.
- One day, though, Casby calls Pancks into a meeting.
- He has a bunch of annoying demands: 1) get even more money out of the Bleeding Heart Yard people – squeeze them for all they're worth; 2) tell Flora to stop going to see Arthur in prison; and 3) stop going to see Arthur yourself while we're at it. Man, that's some evil boss!
- Pancks kind of says "oh" to all of this, but lets it go.
- As soon as Casby leaves, Pancks follows him.
- They both end up in Bleeding Heart Yard.
- Pancks calls Casby out in front of all the people there.
- He tells everyone that it's actually Casby and not Pancks who is the greedy one. He has no sympathy for the people and just wants to squeeze them dry.
- Pancks then tells them the only reason Casby looks so nice is because he has all that beautiful hair, which makes him look like a Biblical patriarch.
- Casby is too dull-witted to be able to respond to this.
- Suddenly, Pancks knocks Casby's hat off his head, whips out a pair of scissors, and hacks off all of his hair.
- Casby stands there, now a laughingstock.