A Little Princess
by Frances Hodgson Burnett
A Little Princess Chapter 13 Summary
Out of the Populace
- Winter is coming—and it's no fun for Sara and Becky, who are hungry and cold all the time.
- Sara tries to keep them warm by telling stories of warm places, but, you know, it's just not the same as a nice toasty fire.
- While running an errand on a cold, wet day, Sara thinks how nice it would be to find some money, buy some hot buns, and eat them all without stopping.
- Lo and behold—she finds a fourpenny piece!
- She's off to find delicious food to stuff into her mouth, but before she gets to the bakery she sees a little street beggar who tells her that she hasn't had food in days.
- Sara goes inside to buy four buns with her fourpenny piece, but the woman gives her six because she looks so hungry.
- Outside, Sara gives the beggar child five of the buns, keeping only one for herself.
- The baker woman comes out and asks the beggar child how many buns Sara gave her, and she can't believe that Sara gave away so many.
- She tells the beggar child to come indoors and warm herself up, and that she'll give her food, too.
- That's our Sara, spreading the love.
- Sara eats tiny pieces of her last bun as she's walking back.
- As she walks back, the Large Family is saying goodbye to their father and they tell him to find the little girl. Sara wonders who they're looking for.
- Oh, the irony!
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...