A Little Princess
by Frances Hodgson Burnett
A Little Princess Chapter 5 Summary
- Sara's been at the school for two years now (which makes her eleven, for those keeping track.)
- As she's getting out of the carriage one day, she sees a little dingy figure standing on the stairs and watching her. Sara smiles at the person, who runs away.
- Later that day, she sees the same girl enter the room as she's telling stories to the other pupils about mermaids.
- Lavinia points out snottily that the girl has been listening, and the girl runs away. When Sara is annoyed, Lavinia says that it's unseemly to tell stories to servant girls.
- (Because why, exactly?)
- When Sara gets back to her room, she asks Mariette who the girl is. It turns out she's a scullery maid who does all sorts of nasty chores for the household.
- A few weeks later, Sara comes into her room to see Becky asleep on the chair. She lets her sleep for a while, but Becky wakes up and is totally horrified.
- Sara assures her that it's okay and even invites her to sit down and have a slice of cake.
- Then she says that Becky can listen to her stories any time she wants to.
- Is your heart warmed yet?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...