by Louisa May Alcott
Beth March Timeline and Summary
- Beth is sitting around with her sisters on Christmas Eve, trying to convince them that they are rich in family and love, even if they don't have much money.
- Beth acts in a play written by her sister Jo and performed for their friends and family.
- Beth resolves to carry her "burdens" gracefully.
- Beth must overcome her shyness in order to take advantage of Mr. Laurence's offer to let her play his piano.
- Beth and Mr. Laurence become close friends. Beth reminds Mr. Laurence of the granddaughter he had who died.
- Beth participates in a meeting of her sisters' Pickwick Club.
- Beth is the only one of the sister who can't actually make herself be lazy, even as an experiment.
- Beth participates in "Camp Laurence" and meets Laurie's friends, the Vaughns.
- Beth tells her sisters and her friend Laurie that she doesn't have a "castle in the air"; she just wants to stay at home and take care of her parents and sisters.
- Beth is distraught when her family receives a telegram saying that her father has been wounded.
- Beth cares for the poor Hummel family alone while her mother is gone.
- Beth catches scarlet fever from the Hummel family's baby.
- Beth is extremely sick and Laurie sends for Mrs. March.
- Beth recovers from the scarlet fever but is never the same.
- Beth is overjoyed when her father returns home.
- Beth attends her sister Meg's wedding.
- Beth realizes that she is dying.
- Beth makes Jo promise to take her place as caretaker for her parents.
- Beth reconciles herself to an early death and tries to make her peace with God.
- Beth dies.