Long Day's Journey Into Night
Cite This Page
Edmund Tyrone Timeline and Summary
- (Since so little actually happens in this play, here's the very short list of things Edmund actually does. If you want a timeline of how his character develops through conversation, which is more important to a play like this, head to the "Detailed Summary.")
- Edmund talks with Jamie in the dining room.
- He comes into the living room and chats with the family.
- When James and Jamie go to do yard-work, he lets Mary go upstairs to "nap" and joins the boys outside.
- Edmund comes back in before the other Tyrones and does some reading.
- When lunch is about to start, Edmund makes to swipe some bourbon, but he's interrupted by Jamie (who helps him steal it anyway).
- Edmund and Jamie both talk with Mary before James shows up for lunch.
- After lunch, Edmund goes upstairs after Mary because he has to get dressed for his appointment with Doctor Hardy.
- He comes back down just as his parents finish talking about his birth, and leaves for town with his father and brother.
- After his appointment, Edmund has a few drinks and comes home with his father before dinner.
- Before his father returns from the whiskey cellar, Edmund can't take being with Mary anymore and leaves the house again before dinner.
- He goes for a walk on the beach in the fog and stops at an inn for some drinks.
- Edmund comes home around midnight and spends the remainder of the play talking to James, Jamie, and an oblivious Mary in succession.