Lord Jim Chapter 18 Summary
- We fast forward to Jim's new career as a water-clerk, which is off to a good start.
- Jim's employer (a friend of Marlow) has even sent a letter to Marlow praising Jim.
- But then Marlow receives another letter saying that Jim has quit and is gone.
- Yet another letter arrives from Jim explaining that he quit because the second engineer from the Patna showed up. Jim had to flee to keep his story under wraps.
- Luckily, he gets a job with ship chandlers (people who sell supplies for ships) Egstrom and Blake, who both like him a lot.
- Unfortunately, Jim's little problem just won't go away. The Patna scandal comes up in conversation, and a captain named O'Brien goes on a rant about it.
- This prompts a shamed Jim to run away yet again.
- Egstrom and Marlow discuss the situation, and both are frustrated with Jim, whom they find stubborn and impulsive.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...