Cite This Page
Lord Jim Chapter 39 Summary Page 1
- Dain Waris, son of Doramin, leads the first attack against Brown, but can't defeat him entirely.
- Meanwhile, Jim is away in the countryside while all this is going on.
- The Patusanians hold a council of war, at which everyone has competing plans and interests. It's clear that Jim's leadership is needed.
- Rajah Allang, who is playing both sides, decides to team up with Brown to defeat Jim, so he sends his advisor, Kassin, to meet with Brown. Kassim brings along Cornelius to act as an interpreter.
- The two of them make their pitch to Brown, who decides that Patusan sounds all right, and that he should take the island entirely for himself.
- While the double-crossers all have a powwow, Dain Waris quietly sends canoes downstream to trap Brown. Sneaky.