by Shirley Jackson
The Boys (Bobby Martin, Dickie Delacroix, Harry and Bobby Jones) Timeline and Summary
- The children gather in the village square on the sunny morning of June 27th.
- Several of the boys are particularly excited by the coming event, and begin to gather "the smoothest and roundest stones" (2).
- They create a great pile of stones for use in the still-mysterious lottery
- The men and women begin to gather and call the boys over to watch the lottery being conducted.
- Bill Hutchinson draws the marked paper; his son, Dave, must then draw.
- The children have their stones ready, and someone gives Dave a few pebbles.
- It is implied that the children join the rest of the villagers in murdering Tess Hutchinson.