Tess Hutchinson Timeline and Summary
- Tess arrives late to the lottery drawing, just in time to see it begin. She had been washing dishes and lost track of time. She only realizes that it's lottery day when she notices that neither her husband nor her kids are at home.
- She greets Mrs. Delacroix, with whom she appears to be on friendly terms.
- When Bill's turn comes around to draw from the box, she yells, "Get up there, Bill" (30). People laugh.
- When Bill shows his marked slip, she begins to protest, saying that he wasn't given enough time to draw.
- She wants her daughter and son-in-law, Don and Eva, to draw to that she'll have less of a chance of being selected. She is told that daughters draw with their husbands' families, as she should know "as well as anyone else" (51).
- Finally, Tess draws her own slip. She holds it in her fist until Bill takes it from her forcibly and shows the black spot.
- Mr. Summers tells everyone that it is Tess.
- Someone gives Dave Hutchinson a few pebbles so that he can attack his mother with the rest of the village.
- She tells everyone that it isn't right, it isn't fair – and the village descends on her.
Previous Page: Old Man Warner