The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
Analysis: Shout Outs
When poets refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literature, Philosophy, and Mythology
- Dante Alighieri, Inferno, Canto 27, lines 61-66 (epigraph)
- Andrew Marvell, "To His Coy Mistress" (line 23, first reference)
- Hesiod, Works and Days (line 29)
- William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night (line 52)
- William Shakespeare, Hamlet (lines 111-119)
- The Bible, Luke 16:19-31, (lines 94-95)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search