The Lovely Bones Chapter 10 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- It's summer now, and Lindsey, Samuel, and Ruth are attending "the statewide Gifted and Talented Symposium" (10.1).
- Samuel worships his brother Hal, who runs a bike shop behind the railroad tracks across from the sinkhole, and lives at home in an apartment on top of the garage.
- Ruth is becoming more devoted to her Susie poetry and has become a vegetarian since Susie died.
- Lindsey draws a fish on her nametag – when people see her name, they think of Susie, bloody and butchered. Ruth asks her about it in the cafeteria one day.
- Susie watches Ruth write and dream about her more and more.
- She discovers that Ruth has sexual desires for women.
- Susie learns she doesn't have to stay in the gazebo to watch Earth; she can walk heaven's fields and still see.
- One day, she asks Franny if there's another heaven, where her ancestors are, where nobody can remember their time on Earth.
- Franny says there is, but to go there, you have to stop worrying about Earth. Susie can't imagine getting to that point.
- That night, Ruth comes to Lindsey's bed after dreaming of Susie. She confides in Lindsey.
- On Saturday, the symposium's contest is announced. Whoever can best demonstrate "HOW TO COMMIT THE PERFECT MURDER" (10.71) wins.
- Lindsey's friends try to shield her, but she soon learns the truth. Then everybody learns whose sister she is.
- Samuel and Lindsey have sex for the first time under a rowboat sheltering them from a summer shower.
- Susie thinks, "In the walls of my sex there was horror and blood, in the walls of hers there were windows" (10.138).
- In heaven, they play "How to Commit the Perfect Murder" all the time. Susie's favorite weapon is the icicle, because it melts inside the body of the victim, leaving no trace.
Next Page: Chapter 11
Previous Page: Chapter 9