The Lovely Bones Chapter 12 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Jack Salmon's in the hospital now, and Detective Fenerman has figured out what happened. Jack will have to have knee surgery.
- Flashback to earlier the day. The Salmon family wakes to the sounds of the sirens coming to the cornfield and realize Jack isn't home.
- When Abigail finds out what happened, she rushes to the hospital, after forbidding Lindsey to come.
- Meanwhile, Lindsey calls Nate's mom, and arranges for her to babysit Buckley.
- Then she calls Hal Heckler and gets him to give her a ride to the hospital on his motorcycle.
- Hal waits for her while she visits her dad in his hospital room.
- Meanwhile, Fenerman arrives at the hospital. Abigail is pacing in a corridor, worried because Jack is in surgery.
- Fenerman finds her and they talk about what happened. They walk outside and Abigail bums a smoke from him. She learns that Fenerman's wife committed suicide. Eventually, they start kissing.
- Lindsey is asleep in her dad's room now, holding his hand.
- (Wait, we thought he was in surgery!)
- When Abigail and Fenerman come back from outside, Hal tells her Lindsey's in with Jack.
- Susie watches souls rising up from the hospital and the nursing homes. Franny taught her how to see them.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...