The Lovely Bones Chapter 15 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Mr. Harvey's remembering shoplifting with his mother as a child. Sometimes they got caught.
- They robbed fresh roadside graves together.
- He realized early that being a woman and being a kid are "the two worst things to be" (15.24).
- When he first sees Lindsey running from his house he panics, but then calms down the way his mom taught him.
- He drops the bloody knife and his "trophy bag" (15.26) down a hole he'd drilled in the foundation. The he calls the cops and reports the break-in.
- Jack tries calling Detective Fenerman, but can't reach him. He learns the police are already at Harvey's.
- When Harvey fails to tell them about the missing drawing, they almost arrest him.
- But he pretends he didn't notice it missing, and shows them another drawing like it.
- He says he was trying to figure out how Susie had been killed, and he got the idea of the hole.
- The cops buy this, and tell him that Fenerman will come and ask him more questions later.
- Meanwhile, Abigail picks up Buckley, then stops at a pay phone to call Len Fenerman and tell him to meet her at the mall.
- At the mall, she lets Buckley stay at the supervised play circle, much to his joy.
- While the cops are questioning Harvey, she's following Fenerman down into the "inner workings of the mall" (15.55).
- As they kiss, Mr. Harvey packs, Buckley makes a friend, Lindsey and Sam kiss, Lynn drinks, and Jack stares at the phone.
- Mr. Harvey splits town, while Abigail and Fenerman make love, Abigail's temporary respite from her broken heart.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...