The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones Chapter 16: Snapshots Summary
How It All Goes Down
- When alive, Susie took lots of pictures of her family.
- Summer 1975, Abigail asks Jack to make love to her, and she leaves home.
- In the fall, Grandma Lynn calls Jack and says she's moving in.
- That December, Mr. Harvey has been gone over a year, and nobody has been able to find him.
- One cold day, Lindsey, gets a ride to the police station from Hal, hoping for information.
- At the station, she sees her mother's red scarf on Len Fenerman's desk, and she freaks out.
- When Fenerman comes around the corner, Hal and Lindsey realize Abigail was having an affair.
- When Buckley is seven he builds a fort for Susie, with Samuel, Hal, and Lindsey helping him.
- He reads comic books in his fort and doesn't let himself wish for his mother.
- Fall 1976, Fenerman surveys the evidence against George Harvey, recovered from his house. He knows that Jack Salmon was right about Harvey, but, there is no record of Harvey anywhere.
- When he sees Susie's jingly pompom hat, he thinks of Abigail and his love for her.
- Susie feels sorry for Fenerman because he didn't solve the crime in time. He feels extremely guilty.
- Susie sees something he doesn't see – her keystone charm found near the bones of a child's foot, found by a hunter in Connecticut.
- In the spring of 1976 Abigail drives to California and gets a job at a winery.
- Ray gets handsomer and handsomer as the years go by, and he leaves for college.
- His mom packed the book of Indian poetry, and when he unpacks it in the dorm, Susie's picture falls out.
- Buckley plants a garden. Sometimes, Abigail calls home.
- Ruth moves to New York City. When she's not working, she roams the streets.
- When she sees a place where a dead girl was killed, she can see what happened.
- In December 1988, Fenerman learns that Susie's charm was discovered near the body of girl found in 1976.
- In 1982, Hal meets a biker whose mother, Sophie, was killed by her tenant, a dollhouse builder who matches Mr. Harvey's description. Hal calls Fenerman.
- And the years go by for Susie, collecting snapshots of her family and friends. When Holiday dies he comes to Susie's heaven.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search