The Lovely Bones
Cite This Page
The Lovely Bones Chapter 16: Snapshots Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- When alive, Susie took lots of pictures of her family.
- Summer 1975, Abigail asks Jack to make love to her, and she leaves home.
- In the fall, Grandma Lynn calls Jack and says she's moving in.
- That December, Mr. Harvey has been gone over a year, and nobody has been able to find him.
- One cold day, Lindsey, gets a ride to the police station from Hal, hoping for information.
- At the station, she sees her mother's red scarf on Len Fenerman's desk, and she freaks out.
- When Fenerman comes around the corner, Hal and Lindsey realize Abigail was having an affair.
- When Buckley is seven he builds a fort for Susie, with Samuel, Hal, and Lindsey helping him.
- He reads comic books in his fort and doesn't let himself wish for his mother.
- Fall 1976, Fenerman surveys the evidence against George Harvey, recovered from his house. He knows that Jack Salmon was right about Harvey, but, there is no record of Harvey anywhere.
- When he sees Susie's jingly pompom hat, he thinks of Abigail and his love for her.
- Susie feels sorry for Fenerman because he didn't solve the crime in time. He feels extremely guilty.
- Susie sees something he doesn't see – her keystone charm found near the bones of a child's foot, found by a hunter in Connecticut.
- In the spring of 1976 Abigail drives to California and gets a job at a winery.
- Ray gets handsomer and handsomer as the years go by, and he leaves for college.
- His mom packed the book of Indian poetry, and when he unpacks it in the dorm, Susie's picture falls out.
- Buckley plants a garden. Sometimes, Abigail calls home.
- Ruth moves to New York City. When she's not working, she roams the streets.
- When she sees a place where a dead girl was killed, she can see what happened.
- In December 1988, Fenerman learns that Susie's charm was discovered near the body of girl found in 1976.
- In 1982, Hal meets a biker whose mother, Sophie, was killed by her tenant, a dollhouse builder who matches Mr. Harvey's description. Hal calls Fenerman.
- And the years go by for Susie, collecting snapshots of her family and friends. When Holiday dies he comes to Susie's heaven.