The Lovely Bones
Cite This Page
The Lovely Bones Chapter 16 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- On the first anniversary of Susie's death, she sees Ruana Singh beginning to realize that her husband is so devoted to his work that he's drifting away from her.
- Ruth comes over, introduces herself, and asks to see Ray.
- She has candles, and wants to have a vigil for Susie at the cornfield.
- Ruth and Ray often practice kissing together, and people think they're a couple, even though she thinks it should be obvious that she likes women.
- When they get to the cornfield, they find Samuel and Hal. Others have already come, left flowers, and gone.
- Neighbors can see them from windows, and they call others. Lots of people start showing up.
- As the sun goes down, the cornfield fills with people holding candles, singing dirges.
- Lindsey shows Abigail, but Abigail says she isn't interested in a memorial.
- Sensing her distance, Lindsey asks her if she plans on leaving them. Lying, she says she won't leave them.
- She holds Lindsey and then tells her to go tell Jack about the vigil.
- Buckley, Lindsey, and Jack go across to the neighborhood and join the growing crowd memorializing Susie.