Gospel of Luke Chapter 10:38-62 Summary
What Do Women Want?
- During his travels, Jesus enters a village where a woman named Martha is super hospitable.
- Martha has a sister named Mary, who's sitting at Jesus's feet, listening to his instruction.
- Meanwhile, Martha's all worked up because of all of the housework, cooking, and serving she's doing.
- Martha complains to Jesus that her sister's not doing anything, and the burden of hospitality has fallen squarely on her shoulders.
- She requests Jesus to demand that Mary help her.
- In reply, Jesus tells her that she's too distracted by worries. Jesus valorizes Mary's choice, and this cannot be taken away from her.
- Moral of the story: never do housework.
Next Page: Chapter 11:1-13
Previous Page: Chapter 10:25-37