Gospel of Luke Chapter 24:36-49 Summary
- Right as everyone is chatting, Jesus appears. Huzzah!
- They think they're seeing a "ghost" (24:37 NRSV) or "spirit" (KJV), but Jesus wants to know why they're doubtful and afraid?
- He's the real deal. He's got flesh and bones, after all.
- The disciples are a mixed bag of emotions. Disbelief, joy, and awe are swirling in their heads.
- Then Jesus asks if they have any food for him. Hey, resurrection takes it out of you.
- They cook up a piece of fish for him, and he gobbles it down right in front of them.
- Now that he's eaten, Jesus has a few things to say to them:
- Everything written about him in the law of Moses, the prophets, and the Psalms has to come to pass. That's right, it's all foretold how the Messiah's supposed to suffer and rise from the dead on the third day.
- Once that's done (check!) it's destined that "repentance and forgiveness of sins" (24:47) will be proclaimed throughout the whole of the Roman empire.
- It's going to start right here in Jerusalem with the disciples, who are witnesses to everything.
- Jesus promises to send them a special gift from God and tells them not to leave Jerusalem before they receive it. (Stay tuned for Acts to find out what this is all about.)
- Jesus leads the disciples to Bethany on the outskirts of Jerusalem and lifts his hands to bless them.
- At that moment, he rises up to heaven.
- They bow down to worship Jesus and return to Jerusalem, overjoyed. They spend all their time in the precinct of the temple shouting some major hip-hip-hoorays to God.
Next Page: Themes
Previous Page: Chapter 24:13-35