The Man in the Iron Mask
Athos Timeline and Summary
- Athos consoles his heartbroken son, Raoul.
- Aramis and Porthos pop in for a visit, and Athos learns of Aramis's attempts to exchange one king for another.
- Monsieur le Duc de Beaufort is the next visitor to Athos's home. He will soon be leaving to embark on a military campaign to Africa and wants to say good-bye.
- Raoul immediately begs permission to serve as the duke's aide-de-camp. Athos is deeply upset because it's clear Raoul is going into this war with a death wish, but agrees to let Raoul go.
- Athos accompanies his son to the coast so the two can spend some time together before Raoul's departure. Before they leave, however, they search out D'Artagnan to say their good-byes.
- Athos and Raoul determine that D'Artagnan is heading to Cannes. Luckily, this is along the same route Athos and Raoul will be taking.
- As they head to the coast, the two men fail to hear anything about D'Artagnan. Athos assumes D'Artagnan is being deliberately secretive while on a mission for the King.
- A chance encounter with fishermen convinces Athos that D'Artagnan is on the island of Ste. Marguerite, escorting taking Philippe to a life of captivity.
- Athos and Raoul head out to the island, where they catch up with D'Artagnan.
- Athos meets Philippe and is sympathetic to the man's plight.
- Back home, Athos sinks deeper and deeper into depression. He is waiting to die.
- Athos waits until he is certain Raoul is dead, and then dies to rejoin his beloved son.