The Man in the Iron Mask
The Man in the Iron Mask Chapter Twenty-Two: Showing How Orders Were Respected at the Bastille Summary
- Fouquet races towards the Bastille, still unsure if Aramis was telling the truth.
- When he shows up at the Bastille, the soldiers do not believe Monsieur Fouquet could have traveled so rapidly from Vaux.
- Fouquet causes a grand commotion, causing Baisemeaux to come rushing out of the prison brandishing a sword.
- Fouquet walks into the Bastille with Baisemeaux, who, was totally ignorant of the crime he helped commit.
- Fouquet learns that a prisoner named Marchiali was released and subsequently re-instated by Aramis.
- Baisemeaux refuses to release Marchiali without a signed order from the King.
- Fouquet threatens to leave and return with ten thousand men and thirty cannons if Baisemeaux doesn't release the prisoner.
- Fouquet gives Baisemeaux ten minutes to make up his mind. Meanwhile, he starts writing out orders for armed men to storm the Bastille.
- Baisemeaux finally takes Fouquet to see Marchiali.
- As they ascend the staircase, Louis's howling can be heard clearly.
- Fouquet grabs the key from Baisemeaux and tells him leave.
- Louis continues shouting that he is the King, and that Fouquet had put him in the Bastille.
- Fouquet opens the door.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search