The Man in the Iron Mask
The Man in the Iron Mask Chapter Twenty-Four: The False King Summary
- Philippe is worried when Aramis fails to show up, but he continues acting like the King throughout all the morning rituals. He is nervous about seeing his mother.
- His mother, Anne of Austria, arrives with other members of the royal court, including the King's younger brother.
- Anne of Austria tries to prejudice her son against Monsieur Fouquet.
- Philippe is not pleased. He threatens to have Madame de Chevreuse (Anne of Austria's friend) thrown out of France. Mother and son have a little tiff.
- Philippe continues to anxiously await the arrival of Aramis, but D'Artagnan walks in the door instead. Philippe demands to know Aramis's whereabouts, which completely throws D'Artagnan off. D'Artagnan believes the King sent Aramis on a secret mission.
- Anne of Austria whispers to her son in Spanish. The poor Philippe doesn't understand Spanish, but he's saved from having to respond by the arrival of his twin brother. (Fouquet enters the room too.)
- For five minutes, everyone is shocked. Anne of Austria is confused and disturbed. Philippe
- Louis next appeals to D'Artagnan, who promptly arrests Philippe.
- Before he leaves, Philippe stares down his twin brother and mother, trying to shame them for what they've done to him.
- Colbert hands D'Artagnan an order instructing him to cover Philippe's head with an iron mask and take him to the island of Ste. Marguerite.
- Before he leaves, D'Artagnan tells Fouquet that Philippe would have made at least an equal, if not better, king to his brother.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search