The Man in the Iron Mask
by Alexandre Dumas
The Man in the Iron Mask Chapter Twenty-Six: The Last Adieus Summary
- Porthos is cheerful and Aramis looks stressed.
- Porthos brags that he will soon be a duke.
- Aramis asks to speak to Athos in private, then tells him the whole story.
- Aramis is convinced that he can salvage the situation through his allies in Spain. He invites Athos to join them.
- Athos refuses. He asks Aramis to promise to look after Porthos, and loans his two best horses to his friends.
- As Aramis and Porthos saddle up for their departure, Athos is overcome with grief and hugs his two friends good-bye.
- He tells Raoul he believes it will be the last time he will see his friends.
- Raoul replies that he had the same thought.
- The two men are sad.
- Athos's friend the Duke de Beaufort shows up for a welcome visit.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...