The Man in the Iron Mask
The Man in the Iron Mask Chapter Thirty-Eight: Friendly Advice Summary
- Fouquet is not well.
- When D'Artagnan shows up at his door, he asks if it is now time for the arrest.
- D'Artagnan reassures Fouquet and tells him that when the time comes, he will announce his intentions loudly.
- Fouquet compliments D'Artagnan on his intelligence and heart.
- He then tells the captain about the race between the two boats. D'Artagnan agrees that does not bode well.
- D'Artagnan fills Fouquet in on the King's latest orders. They include forbidding any person, horse, or vehicle to leave Nantes without royal permission.
- Using very careful language, D'Artagnan tells Fouquet that this order goes into effect only once the King has arrived, and that Fouquet should bolt immediately and make for Belle-Isle.
- As soon as D'Artagnan leaves, Fouquet flies into action and attempts to flee.
- It is too late, however. Trumpets announce the arrival of the King.
- D'Artagnan comes by again, saying that the King is inquiring after Fouquet's health.
- D'Artagnan points out that now that the King has arrived no one can leave.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search