The Man in the Iron Mask
by Alexandre Dumas
The Man in the Iron Mask Chapter Forty-Four: Result of the Ideas of the King and the Ideas of D'Artagnan Summary
- D'Artagnan is furious that the King has anticipated him. He decides to go with the fallback plan.
- D'Artagnan announces his intention to resign, and says that the fleet must return to Nantes with him. With the blockade raised, his friends will have time to escape.
- When he asks if anyone objects to this plan, an officer stands up and hands D'Artagnan yet another order signed by the King.
- Should D'Artagnan attempt to resign, says the order, he is to be relieved of command and taken as a prisoner back to France.
- D'Artagnan is shocked at the King's foresight and wile. He has anticipated D'Artagnan's every move.
- D'Artagnan's last thought is to simply take the order and hide it in his pocket, but he soon realizes that all the men on the ship have been given a copy of the order.
- There is no more hope; D'Artagnan allows himself to be taken prisoner by one of his men.
- D'Artagnan hears canon shots when he reaches the coast of France.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...