The Man in the Iron Mask
by Alexandre Dumas
The Man in the Iron Mask Chapter Forty-Nine: A Homeric Song Summary
- As for the defenders, they have begun to move out their boat.
- They cannot escape while the attack occurs
- Porthos suggests that he hide behind a pillar with a iron bar that he can use to bash in their heads.
- Aramis says it's a great idea, but points out that they need a weapon that will take out dozens at once.
- Twenty-five men led by Biscarrat enter the cave. Aramis tells Porthos to wait for his signal.
- Biscarrat calls his friends onwards, and Aramis tells Porthos to strike. In the next instant, Biscarrat falls down dead.
- The bar completely annihilates the first platoon with no problems. Meanwhile, the second wave continues to advance.
- The second wave is led by the captain, who has a torch. The men are shocked to find dead bodies. The captain eventually spots Porthos behind a pillar. Porthos strangles the captain to death and extinguishes the light, sending the rest of the men into terror. They begin shooting blindly.
- They are met only with silence and the sounds of the third group entering the cavern.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...