The Man in the Iron Mask
The Man in the Iron Mask Chapter Fifty-Two: The Round of M. de Gesvres Summary
- D'Artagnan is deeply upset when he returns to Nantes and seeks a meeting with the King straightaway. M. de Gesvres tells him that the King does not want to be disturbed.
- Used to having free access to the King and his quarters, D'Artagnan is angry .
- Worried about his friends, he decides to seek out Colbert.
- He learns that Colbert is with the King.
- Really angry now, he returns to the hallway outside the King's room. M. de Lyonne comes out, and D'Artagnan tells him to tell the King that he is resigning.
- Lyonne relays the message. The King seems fine with it.
- D'Artagnan is relieved to be a plain citizen again, and wants to head straight back to Belle-Isle.
- At eight o'clock D'Artagnan is in the hostelry saddling his horse when Gesvres shows up with twelve horsemen.
- D'Artagnan asks if he is being arrested. Gesvres tells him that the King wants to speak with him.
- D'Artagnan is annoyed and doesn't care what the King wants or feels, but he walks with Gesvres anyway.
- As D'Artagnan waits for the King to conclude his business with Colbert, the guards standing behind him make it look as though he has been arrested.
- Word begins to circulate and all the Musketeers begin to make a ruckus.
- D'Artagnan is disappointed in the quality of today's Musketeers.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...