The Man in the Iron Mask Chapter Eight: The General of the Order Summary
- Baisemeaux finally thinks of a good excuse: the prisoner will have nowhere to go at this hour of the day.
- Aramis says he will take the prisoner wherever he wishes to go.
- Baisemeaux gives the order to release Seldon.
- Aramis asks if he meant Marchiali.
- The two argue for a minute before Baisemeaux picks up the order and is astonished to read the name "Marchiali."
- Baisemeaux is deeply confused. He wants confirmation from his superiors on which prisoner ought to be released.
- It becomes clear to Baisemeaux that this is a counterfeit order.
- Finally, Aramis writes an order on a sheet of paper that the order releasing Marchiali must be obeyed immediately. He signs it as the General of the Order.
- Baisemeaux is shocked and tries to decide on a course of action. Aramis very gently tells him not to think too hard about it.
- Baisemeaux releases Marchiali. Aramis steps forward and offers the services of his carriage.
- Aramis leaves with the prisoner.
- They drive into the middle of the forest so the two can have a proper heart to heat. The guy driving the carriage is deaf and dumb.
- They take the carriage off the road to avoid other travelers.
- Aramis takes off the pistols he was carrying.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...