The Man in the Iron Mask
Cite This Page
D'Artagnan Timeline and Summary
- D'Artagnan is serving as captain of the King's Musketeers.
- He helps his friend Porthos gain entrance into the royal tailor, Percerin's, atelier.
- D'Artagnan proves his loyalty to the King when the King has a face-off with his twin brother, Philippe
- D'Artagnan is given the responsibility of escorting the King's twin brother to an island prison. D'Artagnan does so even though he truly respects the unfortunate twin. While on the island of Ste. Marguerite, D'Artagnan meets up with Athos and Raoul.
- D'Artagnan returns to France and the King orders him to arrest Monsieur Fouquet. D'Artagnan does so very unwillingly.
- The King then orders D'Artagnan to capture Belle-Isle and the two rebels (that would be Aramis and Porthos) who are holding down the fort.
- D'Artagnan refuses to fight his friends and makes every effort to allow them to escape.
- No such luck. The King anticipates D'Artagnan's every move.
- D'Artagnan has a showdown with the King's representatives The King wins. D'Artagnan then learns of the events at Belle-Isle.
- He attends Porthos's funeral.
- He then attends Athos and Raoul's funeral.
- He shames La Valliere for causing the deaths of Raoul and his father.
- Four years later, D'Artagnan has been made into a count.
- In the war against Holland, D'Artagnan is given major responsibility. He experiences a great deal of military success, and is made into a marshal.
- Immediately after he receives word of this distinction, a cannonball hits him and his dies on the battlefield