The Man in the Iron Mask
King Louis XIV Timeline and Summary
- The King is sleeping with La Valliere, who used to be engaged to Athos's son, Raoul.
- He goes to party at Vaux, where he plans to arrest his host.
- The King sulks because Vaux is more lavish than his castle.
- La Valliere pleads with him to spare Fouquet (the host of the party).
- The King, swept away by his love, consents.
- As La Valliere leaves, Colbert plants a letter.
- The King, thinking that the letter dropped out of La Valliere's pocket, and assuming that it's a love note for him, reads it. Instead, it's a love letter from Fouquet to La Valliere.
- We learn that La Valliere has rejected Fouquet's advances, but the King immediately suspects his mistress of defending Fouquet out of love. Now Fouquet's fate really is sealed.
- Then Louis goes to bed and wakes up as a prisoner in the Bastille.
- He starts going crazy.
- Fouquet frees the King and they go back to Vaux to confront that imposter.
- The King orders his twin to be locked up far away. D'Artagnan is just the man for the job.
- The King goes to Nantes. There, he orders D'Artagnan to arrest Fouquet.
- Aft wards, the King orders D'Artagnan to capture Belle-Isle.
- The King and D'Artagnan disagree on this issue: D'Artagnan refuses to use violence to bring in his friends. The King wins.
- Four years later, the King trades in La Valliere for a new mistress.