The Man in the Iron Mask
by Alexandre Dumas
Porthos Timeline and Summary
- Porthos is distraught because he has nothing to wear to the party at Vaux.
- Porthos helps Aramis swap the King of France for a prisoner from the Bastille.
- He flees with Aramis to Belle-Isle when the plan fails. He thinks they're on a secret mission for the King.
- Aramis finally tells Porthos the truth when they're at Belle-Isle, surrounded by the King's soldiers. Rather than flee, Porthos decides to stick it out with Aramis.
- Porthos has a premonition that he will die soon, and writes his will.
- Aramis and Porthos attempt to make their escape from a grotto on the island. Porthos kills over a hundred soldiers.
- The getaway boat is ready and Porthos is seconds away from safety when his legs give out. He cannot escape from the grotto.
- Porthos dies in an explosion and subsequent rock fall.