Cite This Page
Maniac Magee Chapter 20 Summary Page 1
- This chapter is all about the Battle of the Century: Maniac Magee versus Cobble's Knot.
- It's not a race; he doesn't beat the knot in a great flurry. Rather he pokes and prods, picks and pulls.
- Both black and white people are watching, because Cobble's sits on Hector Street, the border between East and West End.
- At lunchtime, the audience that had gotten bored comes back and can finally see progress. The Knot is now floppy and loose, not tight and crusty. Soon, Maniac finds the end.
- The end is near. But first, Maniac needs some butterscotch Krimpets and a nap.
- Refreshed, he goes for it. And wins.
- The crowd goes wild!