by Jerry Spinelli
Maniac Magee Chapter 3 Summary
- Amanda Beale's on her way to school, just like every other kid that morning. The difference? She's got a suitcase.
- The suitcase makes Maniac think he's found another runaway, so Amanda gets a "hi."
- But wait, Maniac's in the East End, "where almost all the kids were black" (3.3).
- Luckily, Amanda is as friendly as Maniac, so he gets a "hi" back.
- Maniac then finds out that Amanda isn't actually running away.
- So what's up with the suitcase? Turns out Amanda loves loves loves books.
- Lugging them to school each day in a suitcase is the best way to protect them from her little sister and brother, who are overly fond of crayons; and her dog, who will chew anything he can.
- Maniac likes books too, so they start talking. Maniac is able to convince Amanda to lend him a book.
- Looks like someone's made a friend!
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...