Manifest Destiny & Mexican-American War
Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching Manifest Destiny & Mexican-American WarTeacher Pass
Teaching Manifest Destiny & Mexican-American War Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- What contributed to Americans' sense of racial superiority?
- What material advances and opportunities reinforced this sense of difference?
- How did the nation avoid a violent clash over slavery for as long as it did?
- Were these political compromises and cross-sectional parties good things, or did they just delay the inevitable? Explain.
- Would the nation have been better served by fighting this out earlier? Why or why not?
- Why did most northerners oppose slavery?
- Do the motivations of northerners matter? Explain.
- What affect did the motivations of northerners have on the way that slavery was ultimately ended?