Mansfield Park Chapter 12 Summary
- Tom returns home, which most people are happy about since he's a life-of-the-party kind of guy.
- Mary is upset, though, because she discovers that she really likes Edmund better and she can't quite figure out why. Love is illogical that way.
- Henry leaves Mansfield and goes back to his own house, Everingham.
- It's now September.
- The Bertram girls are bummed that Henry is gone.
- Julia is mopey and Maria is increasingly annoyed with Mr. Rushworth.
- Fanny has come to the conclusion that Henry is terrible and a flirt. She doesn't like him at all and is glad he's gone.
- Fanny tries to hint to Edmund that Henry is way to close to Maria, but Edmund doesn't pick up on it.
- Fanny decides to drop it, but she has doubts that Edmund is really right.
- All the young people gather at Mansfield for an evening of dancing and music.
- While Fanny is sitting a dance out, she's forced to listen to Mrs. Norris and Mrs. Rushworth gossip about how awesome Maria's future marriage will be and how they think that Henry really loves Julia.
- The women then start to comment on Edmund and Mary, and Fanny quietly flips out.
- Tom comes over and half-heartedly offers to dance with Fanny, but she declines. He's glad and says he finds dancing lame and thinks that all this love and romance and couple stuff is stupid.
- We learn that a Mr. Yates, one of Tom's friends, is at this impromptu dance party.
- Tom starts to chat politics with Dr. Grant when Mrs. Norris interrupts and asks why Tom isn't dancing.
- She then suggests that Tom play some cards with her and Mrs. Rushworth. Tom quickly asks Fanny to dance and bolts.
- He gripes about how annoying Mrs. Norris is.