Mansfield Park Chapter 20 Summary
- Edmund goes to apologize to his dad for his involvement in the Theater Club. He does try to vindicate, or defend, his own actions as still super moral, though.
- Edmund also insists that Fanny is totally blameless in the whole thing.
- Sir Thomas forgives Edmund and tries to forget all about the theater hullabaloo. He'd rather believe that his kids learned a lesson and won't do it again than find out the truth about it all.
- Sir Thomas is not happy with Mrs. Norris, though, since she was supposed to be the adult chaperone.
- Mrs. Norris goes into a super long spiel defending herself that gets increasingly ridiculous as she goes on. Sir Thomas finally gives up since she shows no signs of shutting up any time soon.
- Sir Thomas has all the theater sets torn down and burns all the copies of the play.
- Mr. Yates thinks that Sir Thomas is the most evil person ever since he clearly hates the theater.
- Maria is starting to get worried about Henry since he hasn't said anything to her dad.
- Then Maria overhears Henry talking with Tom. Henry's leaving town and has no plans to return any time soon.
- Henry then tells Maria that he has to leave but would stay if he could. Maria doesn't buy it.
- Maria is horrified. But she tries to recover herself and act like there's nothing wrong.
- Julia is glad he's leaving since she's angry with him by now and just wants him gone.
- Fanny's also glad he's leaving, but Mrs. Norris is confused that things didn't work out with Henry and Julia.
- Mr. Yates soon leaves as well in order to escape the theater-hating Philistine otherwise known as Sir Thomas.
- Sir Thomas says good riddance to all these people.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search