by Jane Austen
Mansfield Park Chapter 43 Summary
- After Henry leaves, Fanny gets another letter from Mary.
- Mary reports that Henry still loves and misses her. Mary confesses that she's confused about her feelings for Edmund and could really use someone to talk to.
- Mary's friends all really like Edmund, though.
- She reiterates that she is happy to come with Henry to get Fanny whenever she wants to head back to Mansfield Park.
- Mary then tells Fanny that Henry will see the Rushworths at a party next week.
- Fanny is relieved that Mary and Edmund aren't engaged yet but she thinks it's only a matter of time.
- Fanny's pretty jealous of their courtship, and thinks that Mary doesn't deserve Edmund since she's so shallow and superficial.
- She also thinks it's bad that Mary is OK with Henry meeting Maria again.
- At the same time, Fanny longs for another letter from Mary.
- Susan and Fanny continue to grow closer and Susan learns a lot from her older sister.
- Fanny tells Susan all about Mansfield Park and longs to visit and escape Portsmouth.