Cite This Page
Henry Crawford Timeline and Summary
- Henry arrives at Mansfield with his sister Mary.
- He quickly sets to work making the Bertram sisters fall in love with him.
- Henry flirts with both Maria and Julia during the trip to Mr. Rushworth's house.
- But he starts showing a definite preference for Maria.
- During the play, Henry slights Julia and breaks her heart.
- Maria is convinced that Henry loves her.
- But when Sir Thomas returns, Henry skips out on Maria.
- Later Henry returns and starts pursuing Fanny for fun.
- But he then starts to actually fall in love with Fanny.
- He helps her brother get a promotion in order to get in her good graces.
- Henry confesses his love of Fanny to Mary, and she's excited for him and the prospect of it.
- He then proposes to Fanny, who refuses him.
- Henry is extremely confused, as is everyone else at Mansfield.
- But Henry decides that Fanny just needs some time so he refuses to give up pursuing her.
- He comes to visit her in Portsmouth to continue his courtship.
- But then he re-encounters Maria.
- The two begin an affair and Maria leaves her husband for Henry.
- But they are miserable together and eventually break-up.