Marcelo in the Real World
Marcelo in the Real World Chapter 11 Summary
- Marcelo and Jasmine are standing in line at the clerk's office at the courthouse, waiting to file some documents Juliet (Holmes's evil secretary) waited until the last minute to give them.
- A clerk named Al pays special attention to Jasmine, smiling at her and blushing in her presence, which leads Marcelo to ask if he's Jasmine's boyfriend.
- He's not.
- Jasmine suggests that Marcelo can still make his train if they hurry, but Marcelo's riding home with Arturo in his car that day. It's time for a progress assessment.
- Since they've got a little time, Jasmine takes Marcelo to a park she likes to go to. Marcelo uses the time to keep talking to her about beauty.
- He has a lot of questions: does she know she's beautiful? What does it mean for a person to be beautiful?
- Jasmine turns the tables: is there anything Marcelo thinks is beautiful? Anything at all?
- Music, of course. He can say that music is beautiful
- Jasmine agrees, and asks if he knows what else is beautiful. When he says no, she gestures at the children playing in the park.
- Oh, and she also tells him that her brother James was killed when their horse Kickaz accidentally kicked him in the stomach.