Marcelo in the Real World
Marcelo in the Real World Chapter 12 Summary
- Surprise: Rabbi Heschel's a woman!
- She and Marcelo have just concluded their latest meeting, and they're sitting outside Temple Emmanuel when Marcelo decides to ask some hard questions.
- He wants to know, first of all, why Adam and Eve felt ashamed when they realized they were naked in the Garden of Eden.
- What Marcelo wants to know is, if sex is as good as Wendell says it is, why would it cause anyone to feel shame?
- No pressure, Rabbi.
- She tells him that they realized sex could be used for evil, which it can. Then she asks Marcelo if he knows how sex works.
- He knows how getting pregnant works. The other stuff? Not so much.
- Rabbi Heschel then has to explain to Marcelo how sex can be used for evil, and how people can use it to hurt each other.
- After explaining it all, she rubs her head like she has a headache, and Marcelo wishes he knew what to do to comfort her.
- But it's that human emotion thing that baffles him, so he just stays mum.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search