Marcelo in the Real World
by Francisco X. Stork
Marcelo in the Real World Chapter 18 Summary
- On day two of picking up Wendell's slack, Marcelo gets his own office. Bonus!
- Well, not technically. It's actually Robert Steely's office. He's an attorney who's going to get fired as soon as he returns from vacation.
- The reason? He was "too soft." Holmes's secretary Juliet tells Marcelo that people hire Sandoval and Holmes when they want the meanest, toughest attorneys.
- More than that, though, Steely questioned Holmes, which is something you just don't do.
- Steely walks in as Marcelo's working. Somehow he's been let past the lobby instead of being sent straight to Arturo's office. It's exactly as awkward as it sounds.
- Steely figures it out as soon as he sees Marcelo in his office. He can't believe it; he thought they'd give him time to find another job. This just ain't classy.
- Before Steely came in, Marcelo had gone through his desk and found a magnifying glass. He used it to look more closely at the picture of the girl, and discovered that there's a calendar behind her head.
- On the calendar: the words "su taqueria" (your taco place) and a zip code. Kid's turning into quite the detective.
- It also looks like she's standing in a lawyer's office. How does Marcelo know? Because it resembles the offices at his father's firm, although it's not exactly the same.
- As soon as he tells Jasmine, she's on it. A little internet sleuthing reveals that the zip code is in Jamaica Plain, a nearby neighborhood in Boston.
- Next step: call some taquerias and find out which one gave out calendars, then find a lawyer who eats at one frequently.
- Marcelo's impressed by Jasmine's ability to think logically. Kindred spirits, those two.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...