Marcelo in the Real World
by Francisco X. Stork
Marcelo in the Real World Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why is Marcelo able to sign "I love you" to Yolanda, even though you'll never catch him saying it? What's the difference?
- What's up with Marcelo's emotional reaction to the schedule Jasmine gives him? Why does he cry for the first time?
- Marcelo's seen plenty of suffering among the kids at Paterson, and not just because the homework is too hard or the cafeteria food is bad. Why does Ixtel's suffering affect him more than theirs? What makes her different?
- How does Jerry Garcia remain true to his ideals, while Arturo so readily gives his up? Did these guys really come from the same law school?
- Why does Marcelo lose the IM when he enters the Real World?
- In Marcelo's narration, he sometimes refers to himself as "Marcelo" and sometimes as "I." Why do you think Stork made the choice not to have Marcelo refer to himself in the third person every time? Is there a particular reason he uses one or the other in particular circumstances?
- How is Marcelo's relationship with Arturo different from other kids' relationships with their fathers, and how is it the same?
- Why does Marcelo relate to horses so much? Like, why not cats, gerbils, ferrets, or three-toed sloths?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...