The Martian Chronicles
The Martian Chronicles The Silent Towns Summary
- Walter Gripp is the last man on Mars.
- He was an isolated miner when the war happened, which is why he missed all the rockets going back to Earth.
- But now he's really isolated, and also really sad about it.
- Until, that is, he hears a phone ringing.
- It's the last woman on Mars, Genevieve Selsor.
- Last woman, last man: obviously, they're meant to be together, right?
- Gripp dreams about how nice it will be to have a beautiful woman around and goes off to find her.
- Not so much.
- Oh, sure, he finds her, but she's not exactly his dream girl. Like, she eats a lot of chocolate and she only wants to watch the same movie over and over again.
- So when Genevieve brings out a wedding dress, Gripp runs away and lives happily by himself. Genevieve, we assume, goes back to eating chocolates and watching her movie.
- Hey, maybe it's a happy ending after all.