The Martian Chronicles
by Ray Bradbury
The Martian Chronicles The Earth Men Summary
- Captain Jonathan Williams and his three-man crew arrive on Mars and just want someone to pat them on the back for being awesome space cowboys.
- All the Martians they meet seem unimpressed with their amazing trip.
- The housewife Mrs. Ttt is more worried about her baking.
- Mr. Aaa is too busy for them.
- A little girl would rather play with her spider.
- And Mr. Iii just wants them to fill out forms.
- Sounds a lot like an ordinary day on Earth.
- Finally, the Earth Men meet some Martians who are impressed enough to throw them a party.
- Oh, but it turns out these Martians are crazy.
- Since Martians are telepathic, they can make other people see their hallucinations. So, all those unimpressed Martians just thought the Earth Men were crazy, hallucinating Martians.
- Well, actually, they think Williams is hallucinating and that his three-man crew is part of his hallucination.
- Even the psychologist Mr. Xxx thinks Captain Williams is crazy.
- Since there's no way to cure this sort of craziness, Xxx shoots Williams. Well, obviously.
- The weird thing is, the other men still exist after Williams dies—even though Xxx thought they were just hallucinations.
- No worries, Xxx will just shoot them, too.
- Except that it turns out Xxx can still see the dead men and the rocket. Naturally, he thinks he's gone crazy, too.
- So he does the only logical thing and shoots himself.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...