The Martian Chronicles
The Martian Chronicles The Wilderness Summary
- (Publishing history snack: This story was added in 1997 to replace "Way in the Middle of the Air.")
- In Independence, Missouri, Janice Smith and Leonora Holmes prepare for their trip to Mars.
- Janice is not looking forward to her ride in a spaceship, because she was once stuck in a dark closet and fell down a flight of dark stairs.
- Since falling down a dark flight of stairs is almost exactly like flying through space. Yup.
- Anyway, Janice is conquering her fear to go to Mars because her BF Will is already there.
- Janice and Leonora hit us over the head with some themes by talking about how colonizing Mars is a lot like settling the Old West.
- (For more about this, see "Setting"—and every other story that says that same thing, especially the interchapters.)
- Janice and Leonora say goodbye to their town one last time—goodbye trees, goodbye chocolate malted at the soda shop, goodbye perfume. You know, the important things.
- Janice calls Will on the lightphone, which is apparently a piece of technology that hasn't made it through the Apple labs yet, but the only message that gets through from Mars is "love."
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search