Gospel of Matthew
Gospel of Matthew Chapter 13 Summary
The Inside Scoop
- We start off another parable marathon with the one about the sower.
- This time, Jesus lets the disciples know what's up with the all the parables. See, the disciples are in the inner circle—that means they get to know the secret of the kingdom of heaven. Others won't be as lucky. Sure, they'll look and hear, but they won't understand. Another one of Isaiah's prophecies fulfilled.
- After getting the inside scoop on why Jesus is talking in parables, he gives his disciples an explanation of the sower.
- Jesus continues traveling down the parable route with the ones about the weeds among the wheat, the mustard seed, and the yeast.
- And now for something completely different: another prophecy is fulfilled by Jesus speaking in parables to the crowds. And of course, only the disciples get to hear a play-by-play explanation from Jesus.
- Sticking with a good thing, Jesus continues with more parables about the kingdom of heaven. He compares it to treasure buried in a field, a pearl found by a merchant, and a net thrown into the sea.
- Jesus questions if any of the disciples is picking up what he's putting down. The disciples say they do, so Jesus decides that it's time to bounce that popsicle palace.
- Back in his hometown of Nazareth, Jesus begins teaching in the synagogue. This doesn't go over too well since everyone knows who he is, and frankly, they just don't believe him.