Gospel of Matthew Chapter 19 Summary
Simple Rules for Attaining Eternal Life
- Time to leave Galilee and enter Judea.
- Here, the Pharisees question if it's lawful for a man to divorce his wife.
- Jesus says Moses only allowed it because they were hard-hearted. See, divorce leads to adultery—and if you can't stay married, don't get married.
- Later on, people bring children to Jesus so that he can bless and heal them. The disciples try to turn the kids away, but Jesus tells them to cool their jets because the kingdom of heaven belongs to the little children.
- Then a rich young man comes asking Jesus how to attain eternal life. Easy! Follow commandments.
- The man says he already does this. So Jesus tells him to give all he has to the poor and become one of his followers. Needless to say, the young man is a bit disappointed to hear this.
- Ever wonder how hard it is for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven? Well, Jesus says it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle. Translation: really hard.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...