Gospel of Matthew
Cite This Page
Gospel of Matthew Chapter 24 Summary
The Coming of the End of Times
- Jesus predicts that the temple will be destroyed and tells his disciples how to keep an eye out for signs of The End (also known as the second coming or the end of the age).
- Be on the lookout for prosecution, famines, wars, earthquakes, false prophets, an increase of evil, and a decrease of love (24:4-7). Sounds not fun.
- The disciples are given instruction to flee from any place that announces false prophets.
- And when the time is right, a sign will appear the sky and the Son of Man will come, riding the clouds. Then—the big finish—angels will gather up the chosen people
- The disciples aren't satisfied. They want more details on how they'll know it's time. Jesus responds with the parable of the fig tree.
- No one knows the time or day when the Son of Man will come. You know what that means: they must always be prepared.
- To emphasize the importance of watchfulness, Jesus tells the parable of the unfaithful servant.