The Mayor of Casterbridge
by Thomas Hardy
When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- Homer, The Odyssey. The myth of Scylla and Charybdis (1.20)
- Henry Fielding, The Grub Street Opera (5.1)
- Sir Walter Scott, The Lay of the Last Minstrel (9.15)
- The Bible, John 5:2-9 (10.1)
- The myth of Achilles (12.2)
- Emperor Hadrian, 76-138 AD (11.32)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...